A Television Programme

Hi FAU Bloggers!

Today I'm going to tell you about a television programme I used to watch as a child. It was a science-fiction series called "Dr Who". Actually, Dr Who is still running today in the UK but it originally ran from 1963 to 1989. I mainly watched it in the 1970's. The show was a family show so it was broadcast on a Saturday afternoon at about 5pm after the sport's programmes had finished. I used to watch Dr Who with my whole family. When I first saw the series I would run and hide behind the sofa when there were any scary bits. I guess Dr Who helped me develop a love of science fiction. There was a lot of advanced technology in the programme. For example, the Doctor's time travelling machine (called the "Tardis") looked like a small police telephone box on the outside but it was bigger on the inside (an impossible thing). Also, the Doctor's enemies were often quite terrifying - especially to a young boy with a bit imagination (lol).

I think my favourite episodes involved the Dr's arch-enemies The Daleks or the Cybermen. 

The Daleks are crazy robot like mutants and the Cybermen are crazy robot like cyborgs. I found both frightening. The show is still produced - it began again in 2005 - and it has become popular in many other countries of the world. In recent years some quite well-known actors have played the role of the Doctor, and in 2017 Jodie Whittaker became the first female doctor. The current Doctor is Rwandan-Scottish actor Mizero Gatwa. I think the last time I watched Dr Who was in about 2020. I liked the programme because the stories were always interesting and exciting and they helped fuel my imagination.

The music of the series in also very popular and it is well-known in British Culture. One of the most popular versions was by the crazy Scottish Duo - KLF - under the name of The Timelords. 

Check this out!


Write about a television programme you remember from your childhood.

Say:

What it was called,

What it was about,

When you watched it (time, day, etc.)

Who you watched it with,

Why you liked it,

When you last watched it.

Mention anything else you think is important or interesting. Leave a comment on your Teacher's blog and on the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

A Photograph that brings back happy memories